The Digital Bitbox is a hardware wallet used to store your Bitcoin, Ethereum, and ERC20 coins safely and securely, offline, and away from the threat of hackers, viruses, malware and thieves. It is unique in that it allows you to use a micro SD card to store your recovery seed and private keys. When you use the Digital Bitbox your private keys are never exposed on your computer or online. You won’t have to worry about keyloggers, cameras or screen capture malware.
The Digital Bitbox currently only works for storing Bitcoin and Ethereum, as well as any ERC20 coins, but more coins are being planned for future firmware updates. Since Bitcoin and Ethereum are the most common coins to have in large amounts this should work for most people.
Advantages of the Digital Bitbox
- Offline, anytime backup and recovery with a micro SD card.
- Native software client avoids security risks of browser-based clients. Works with Linux, OSX and Windows operating systems.
- Plausible deniability with hidden wallets and backups. Digital Bitbox has unique features for enhanced backup and privacy options. A secondary password can be used to access a hidden wallet, for example, while a wrong password for a backup creates a different wallet.
- Tor and Tails OS compatible to give you maximum privacy protection.
- Private keys kept on a high-security chip that prevents physical extraction. The chip has a 50 year lifespan.
- Portable, extremely durable case filled with epoxy and packed with security. The Digital Bitbox itself is portable and durable. It’s an epoxy-filled case made from the same material used in bulletproof gas.
- Subtle design avoids unwanted attention.
- Multisig out-of-the-box (optional to use). Enjoy multiple signature protection right out of the box with Digital Bitbox. No registration is required, and there’s a quick and simple setup process.
- Smart verification and second-factor authentication mobile app (optional to use).
- Fully open source. To ensure there’s nothing shady going on, all Digital Bitbox code, including the firmware, bootloader, desktop, and mobile apps, are open source. They’re signed, deterministic builds and users are encouraged to audit, build, and load official firmware on their own.
- Swiss ideals – quality, privacy, no backdoors. The Digital Bitbox uses external entropy to offer additional security. Entropy is added through random bytes during the factory installation, removing the need to trust the company creating the device. Moreover, additional entropy is added when users enter their device password. Usage of the device can be further protected by two-factor authentication, and all communication via USB is encrypted with AES-256-CBC.
The Digital Bitbox gets high marks for security features. In fact, it might be the most secure solution available for cold storage of Bitcoin and Ethereum currently on the market. The price is also reasonable. The Digital Bitbox currently retails for €54, plus an additional €25 for FedEx Express Priority shipping. If you live in Switzerland this shipping cost is waived. The cost also includes a 4GB SanDisk Micro SD card for wallet backup and recovery. If you prefer minimalism in your hardware wallet, as well as some degree of paranoid security, the Digital Bitbox might be your best choice. If you want to explore further hardware wallet options we recommend you have a look at our Ledger Nano S review, or our Trezor review.